Technology and Innovation Advisor
- D-tree International
- Guatemala City, Guatemala
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Technology and Innovation Advisor
D-tree International, a global digital health NGO, seeks a full-time Technology and Innovation Advisor to be based in Guatemala City, Guatemala on a proposed Improved Health and Nutrition project, funded by USAID. Pending the successful awarding of this proposal, this would be a 5-year project with an expected start date of March 2019.
The goal of this project is to sustainably and significantly improve the nutrition and health outcomes of indigenous communities in the Western Highlands of Guatemala, specifically the departments of Huehuetenango and Quiche. This project will work to improve access to innovative quality health services to reduce the prevalence of stunting, anemia, maternal and child morbidity and mortality. It will also strengthen the local health system, including human resources and governance.
The Technology and Innovation Advisor will advise D-tree and our partners on an approach to this project that combines health science, digital technology and innovation to achieve the project’s objectives described above, and empowers communities in the Western Highlands to improve development outcomes. Candidates should be well-versed in ICT4D solutions in the health sector, and ideally have experience guiding donor-funded programs on how to integrate technology and innovation into activities to increase impact. We seek systems-thinkers with knowledge of the Guatemalan context, technology landscape, and experience and/or interest in working with and promoting the use of new, potentially life-saving technologies in the Western Highlands.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• During the needs assessment/discovery phase, provide guidance to the project team on use of culturally appropriate digital systems to support project activities and identify a plan of action to ensure buy-in from end users (i.e. community members, frontline health workers, Ministry representatives).
• During the design phase, work in close collaboration with D-tree’s Director of Digital Solutions and project partners to lead the conceptualization of a comprehensive digital system using human-centered design with end users to inform systems requirements.
• In collaboration with D-tree’s Senior Software Developer, oversee the work of the software development partner to build the digital system(s), and develop QA/QI procedures to test and validate new functionalities and workflows.
• Working with local technology support staff, put in place processes and procedures for user support and oversee training and implementation of the digital solutions— addressing deficiencies and areas of improvement in a timely manner.
• Working with D-tree’s local and global staff, develop the project’s strategy for technology and innovation, and ultimately lead execution of this strategy on behalf of D-tree and its project partners.
• Provide technical expertise in digital mobile-first solutions for health and nutrition, and monitor innovation trends to identify new ICT4D tools/approaches that can be customized, tested and possibly adopted for this project.
• Participate in the development and implementation of a learning and research agenda for the project, collaborating closely with project leadership to disseminate learnings and challenges around innovation.
• Develop and implement strategies to support institutionalization of the digital health platform. This may include supporting the Ministry in developing guidelines, policies, internal processes or structures, and building staff capacity.
• Collaborate with Program Manager and HQ team to develop quarterly workplans, draft reports, and dissemination documents.
• Ensure accurate forecasting of budget needs, and communicate in a timely manner when course correction is needed.
• Work with Department and Ministry of Health Management Teams to create buy-in and ownership for the program, including through district plans, reviewing dashboard data and implementing action plans.
• Mentor and support a staff of 2 technology specialists to carry out project activities in Guatemala.
• Bachelor’s degree or above (Master’s preferred) in Media, Communications, Technology, Innovation Management, International Development or a related subject.
• Minimum of 6-8 years of relevant professional experience with 5 years of experience working in technology and innovation/entrepreneurship either in a technology design or strategic advising role.
• Direct experience promoting user-friendly and sustainable technology solutions or other innovations for vulnerable populations in Guatemala or Latin America preferred.
• Experience in public health, nutrition, family planning or another relevant sector on USAID or other donor-funded projects strongly preferred.
• Excellent communication skills and ability to work with a wide-range of technical staff, Community Service Organizations, private sector, government partners, and donors.
• Written and verbal fluency in English and Spanish
To apply for this role please email the following documents to email@example.com with the subject line: Technology and Innovation Advisor. The due date for applications is January 3rd, 2019.
1. Cover letter, clearly and concisely explaining how you would add value to the D-tree team.
2. A writing sample demonstrating your ability to communicate effectively in writing.
3. Your current Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume, showing your work history.
Only finalists will be contacted. D-tree International is an equal opportunity employer.
Finalized Job offer contingent on award funding and approval of USAID as position is key personnel.
D-tree International is a mission-driven digital global health organization committed to transforming health systems and improving health outcomes in low- and middle-income countries by integrating digital technology solutions into health systems in innovative and effective ways. For nearly 15 years, D-tree has been a pioneer in the field of digital health and has supported more than 5 million families in 16 countries globally. D-tree has been recognized with numerous international awards in mobile health, including 2 Savings Lives at Birth Awards, 2 GSMA Global Mobile Awards and an Innovation Working Group award. D-tree takes a systems strengthening approach, using public health and technology expertise to co-design, develop and implement innovative and scalable solutions which strengthen health systems, improve program efficiency and save lives.