Undergraduate Summer Research Fellow – Impact Investing
- Wharton Social Impact Initiative
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
The Wharton Social Impact Initiative (WSII) leads the Wharton School’s work in the use of business strategies for a better world. WSII’s work includes research, consulting, hands-on training, and outreach, and spans many geographic and topical focus areas, including Philadelphia, Africa, women and girls, and others. By leveraging Wharton’s hallmark strengths, WSII advances the science and practice of business social impact and develops business leaders who are equipped to lead in an increasingly interconnected and complex world.
Building on the success of the original report Great Expectations: Mission Preservation and Financial Performance in Impact Investing, WSII is pursuing additional academic research opportunities in impact investing private equity by leveraging and expanding the Wharton Impact Research & Evaluation Database (WIRED). As part of this work, WSII also plans to publish and distribute additional reports in the coming months.
Working in a start-up like atmosphere, the candidate will be tasked with responsibilities spanning research, analysis, academic-level report writing, data entry, and preparing marketing documents. The ideal candidate will help WSII build on its success to date creating an evidence base for impact investing. Commitment
35-40 hours per week from May 2017 to August 2017 (exact start and end dates TBD). This is a paid internship position.
• Synthesize data from financial documents to create a database of financial and social impact performance or private equity funds.
• Perform financial and statistical analysis.
• Assist in writing reports and creating presentations based on the analysis.
• Represent WSII at conferences and meetings, as needed.
• Create marketing presentations and documents for target audiences explaining the research.
• Current undergraduate student pursuing a degree in economics, business, finance, international development, or related discipline. (2017 graduates encouraged to apply as well).
• Finance experience, including familiarity with financial documents, like annual audited statements, quarterly reports, and other financial analysis reports and presentations.
• Familiarity with statistical concepts.
• Strong verbal communication and writing skills.
• High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (especially with Excel).
• Ability to handle and manage highly sensitive financial information.
• High level of attention to detail.
• Familiarity with or strong interest in social impact and/or impact investing is highly preferred.
Please email resume and cover letter to ImpactInvesting@wharton.upenn.edu with the subject line, “Undergraduate Summer Research Fellow”