Unlocking Communities Board Member
- Unlocking Communities
- Chicago, IL (Remote possible)
- Job Type
- Board position
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Please express your interest in joining Unlocking Communities’ Board of Directors by filling out an application.
- Where to Apply
To empower individuals and communities in Haiti to unlock their economic potential through entrepreneurial ventures.
Unlocking Communities is passionately is working to provide Haitians the tools to be their own catalysts for change. To make quality and long-lasting economic impact in communities, our model gives aspiring entrepreneurs a solid foundation by training them in business fundamentals. Once their training is complete, they are given access to in-demand, environmentally beneficial products (water filters and clean-burning stoves) that they can earn a commission from selling on a micro-loan. The entrepreneur then reinvests in additional inventory, and the cycle continues to expand. This expansion provides a business model that generates income, offers examples of entrepreneurship and savings, and it produces substantial social value through regenerative and sustainable businesses. We are now in 10 communities, have sold over 550 water filtration systems, and trained over 130 entrepreneurs. In 2020 we are looking to enter 15 more communities. We have already secured half of the $220,000 we need to do this. This will result in nearly $5 million in economic savings for rural Haitian families.
For more information, please Unlocking Communities’ website at unlockingcommunities.org.
The Board will support the work of Unlocking Communities and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Unlocking Communities’ chief executive officer (CEO) and chief operating officer (COO), the Board-CEO/COO relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance, and oversight
– Serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO and COO as they develop and implement Unlocking Communities’ strategic plan.
– Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Unlocking Communities for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
– Approving Unlocking Communities’ annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
– Contributing to annual performance evaluations of the CEO and COO.
Assisting the CEO and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members.
– Partnering with the CEO, COO, and other Board Members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out.
– Serving on task forces and taking on special assignments given one’s background.
– Representing Unlocking Communities to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization.
– Ensuring Unlocking Communities’ commitment to a diverse Board and staff that reflects the communities Unlocking Communities serves.
– Build a personal knowledge of Haiti.
Unlocking Communities Board Members will consider Unlocking Communities a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Unlocking Communities can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Unlocking Communities expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity. A recommended contribution from Board Members and their network is at least $2,500 or another amount that is personally significant.
Unlocking Communities’ Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for two additional terms. Board meetings will be held virtually or in-person bi-monthly and transitioning to quarterly as the organization grows.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Unlocking Communities’ mission and who has a track record of Board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
– Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector.
– A commitment to and understanding of Unlocking Communities’ beneficiaries, preferably based on experience.
– Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
– Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Unlocking Communities’ beneficiaries.
– Be comfortable with a start-up, ambitious culture.
Service on Unlocking Communities’ Board of Directors is without remuneration.
Please express your interest in joining Unlocking Communities’ Board of Directors by applying at https://tinyurl.com/
Please send any questions to Unlocking Communities’ Director of Operations, Julia Holmertz, at email@example.com
You can also view the description at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OvegWWa4bKvrsRVnDsc0OONAVJPXRAghUjySWQTZfQM/edit?usp=sharing.