Vice President, Private Credit
- New Island Capital Management
- San Francisco, CA
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Apply through link
- Where to Apply
ABOUT NEW ISLAND CAPITAL
New Island Capital Management (NICM) is an impact investment advisor, operating a substantial, institutional-scale, 100% impact-focused portfolio. Based in San Francisco, New Island utilizes a patient, disciplined approach in deploying capital – at scale – to generate risk-adjusted financial returns across multiple asset classes, while simultaneously delivering positive social and environmental outcomes. New Island seeks direct relationships with entrepreneurs and communities globally to support the natural emergence of a new paradigm in sectors such as health & wellness, sustainable agriculture, environmental protection, renewable energy, and sustainable communities.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Vice President (VP) will report to the Managing Director of Private Credit. This is an opportunity to join a team of ambitious changemakers, contribute to the management of a broad and diverse portfolio, and provide leadership within the portfolio around the creative deployment of capital to mission-aligned businesses. The Private Credit team is collaborative and nimble, expecting the VP’s familiarity and involvement across the full deal cycle, with a particular emphasis on due diligence to support deal sourcing and structuring. The Private Credit portfolio itself encompasses a wide variety of loan types and risk profiles across a global and diverse spectrum of industries.
New Island’s lending approach is characterized by innovation, creativity, and flexibility, with an opportunity to create highly customized and tailored solutions. The VP will work closely with both the Managing Director and borrowers to design financial solutions unique to their situations, addressing risk in imaginative ways; as such, this role places a premium on rigorous underwriting and quantitative analysis, the ability to delegate to and coach junior team members, and an adaptable solutions-oriented mindset.
* Assist in the growth and management of a diverse private credit portfolio:
> Lending is across industries, global (currently mostly within North America, Latin America, Africa and Europe), multi-currency, and across a range of risk/return profiles
> Key industries include: food & agriculture, renewable energy/energy access, economic development, education, sustainable transportation, and financial intermediaries
> Loan types include: corporate/business, receivables/inventory, revolving facilities, warehouse loans, subordinated debt, real estate debt, other asset financings, loans to intermediaries, and other cash flow-based and/or collateralized instruments
* Mitigate risks via fundamental business due diligence, loan structuring based on diligence insights, and high-touch borrower relationships
* Lead within a small, high achieving team involved in all aspects of the deal cycle. Primary emphasis on diligence, recommending, post-investment management, restructuring and workouts; secondary focus on strategy/positioning
* Quickly learn new industries, conduct business analysis, and structure deals creatively so as to both achieve social and environmental change and generate appropriate financial returns
* Maintain relationships with borrowers and communicate frequently with associated stakeholders
* Four years of direct lending/credit analysis experience and/or experience evaluating and comparing non-investment grade securities
* Full deal cycle experience, including extensive due diligence and managing loans post-closing
* Strong quantitative, analytical, and underwriting background
* Comfortable working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment without the analytical support or infrastructure generally available in larger organizations
* Experience operating in international and emerging market contexts preferred
* Candidates must demonstrate the potential to be creative, flexible, resourceful, and disciplined in supporting a complex mission-driven investment program
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* M.B.A. or graduate degree in finance preferred, but may be substituted with equivalent experience
* Most importantly, the successful candidate will have the highest standards of personal and professional ethics and integrity, as well as a strong work ethic and “team player” mentality
NICM has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this search. To apply, please submit a current resume and thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest and outlines your relevant skills and experience to https://grnh.se/9195c3542us. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
NICM is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply. Please refrain from contacting NICM directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at newislandVP@schaffercombs.com.