Vice President, Strategy & Investment
- EWB Canada
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
EWB is seeking an experienced Director, Policy & Advocacy to lead the organization’s high-level influence goals, executing on strategies that press governments and institutions to adopt policies and practices that will contribute to EWB’s vision of a thriving and sustainable world.
We are looking for a candidate who is hungry to work on complex social challenges, able to learn quickly and overcome unforeseen hurdles and eager to take on a leadership role within a small, high-performing team.
Reporting to the VP Strategy and Investment, the Director of Policy & Advocacy is responsible for delivering massive impact towards EWB’s policy and influence goals in the global development arena, principally within Canada. You will work in concert with the other Policy & Advocacy team members to develop and implement the organization’s public policy agenda, building the political will necessary to guide Canadian and international institutional policies that result in a thriving and sustainable world.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Strategic leadership
o Monitoring and analyzing relevant political activity and national/international trends, predominantly at the Canadian federal level but also at any level that may be applicable to EWB’s work.
o Providing strategic analysis and background for the development of EWB’s campaigns and policy agenda.
o Developing and implementing campaign strategies for advancing policy goals with key political and bureaucratic decision-makers.
o This responsibility should be executed in concert with the Communications and Mobilization portfolio Managers.
• Team management and development
o Managing and enabling the success of EWB’s National Office Policy and Advocacy Team staff and EWB volunteers.
o Organizing the efforts of EWB staff and volunteers to act on EWB’s advocacy strategy.
o Coordinating with EWB leadership and contributing to the organization’s overall planning and accountability systems.
• Relationship management
o Building and maintaining strategic relationships with governments, public policy experts, NGOs, and other key partners that are critical to the success of EWB’s mission.
o Communicating with and briefing Members of Parliament, their staff and other officials through in-person meetings, written communications, and phone calls;
o Collaborating with EWB’s partners and allies on policy matters, organizing coalitions and joint efforts where strategic.
• Budget planning and management
o Managing the policy and advocacy budget.
o Securing, managing, and reporting to grants and other funding to support EWB’s policy and advocacy work.
o Working with EWB’s Communications & Partnerships team in support of EWB’s communications and fundraising agenda.
The successful candidate will have or possess the strong potential to develop talents, aptitudes, skills and experiences in the following areas:
• Genuine passion for social change work and EWB’s approach.
• Interest in being part of a fast-paced, young team that is working to solve global challenges.
• Proven track record in international development, public policy, communications, political advocacy, research or related field.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze huge amounts of information and translate it into pithy, understandable messages and strategy.
• Experience in and comfort communicating with high level officials, political figures, government policy-makers, and staff.
• Experience managing programs and leading a team of staff and volunteers.
• Excellent team player with experience in coalition building, and superior interpersonal and collaboration skills.
• Ability to communicate complex information clearly in writing and in oral presentations to a range of audiences.
• Ability to use data in shaping policy messages.
• Proficiency at multi-tasking, working well under pressure and prioritizing a number of ongoing projects.
• Self-starter who is able to effectively take initiative, work independently, and complete tasks in a timely manner.
The position will likely be based in EWB’s National Office, located in downtown Toronto, with some travel within Canada and internationally. Flexibility on location will be considered on a case by case basis.
This is a full-time, permanent position. Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package.
Please complete this form (http://bit.ly/1P6kKzi), including application questions, AND email your CV/Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 17, 2016, noting “Director of Policy & Advocacy application” in the subject of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
EWB is an equal opportunity employer and we value the diversity of people and communities. We are committed to an environment that is inclusive and barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodations.