VP of Programs, Mali
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
myAgro is an award-winning, start-up social enterprise working in Mali and Senegal, West Africa. Our mission is to help small-scale farmers move out of poverty by providing certified seed and fertilizer, technical assistance and market access to farmers via a mobile layaway payment system. We’ve grown from 240 farmers in 2013 to over 10,000 this year. Our dream is to build a model of savings layaway in Mali and Senegal that can be adopted by other organizations to serve over a million farmers throughout the world.
About this Role:
myAgro is seeking a seasoned but hands-on leader to oversee the execution of myAgro’s long-term program strategy in Mali. Mali is the seat of myAgro’s operations, and we have big plans for expansion: reaching new geographic areas, innovating on our current models, and preparing myAgro to serve as a model for organizations reaching small farmers around the globe. The VP of Programs will provide critical operational leadership to myAgro’s Mali program as we grow, ensuring our operations run smoothly and efficiently as we scale to reach tens of thousands more farmers in the coming years.
The VP of Mali Programs is responsible for the administration of our core program, pilot development, program budgeting, M&E, management of nearly 200 Malian and expat staff, and more. As a member of myAgro’s Executive Team, s/he will also make critical contributions to myAgro’s long-term strategic direction. S/he will report to myAgro’s Executive Director.
myAgro is a startup social enterprise with plans for rapid and substantial growth. The ideal VP of Programs candidate will have an outstanding track record managing complex projects and diverse teams, developing innovative programs, and serving in an organizational leadership capacity. The ideal candidate will also be comfortable working on a limited budget, will have a highly entrepreneurial mindset, and will be comfortable “getting their hands dirty” when required.
• Program strategy & management
• With myAgro senior leadership, develop program strategy, targets and milestones to achieve myAgro’s ambitious goals in Mali;
• Manage team of nearly 200 local staff and 10-15 expats to deliver a consistent, high-quality program throughout the country;
• Develop pilots and manage M&E to continually improve myAgro’s model and impact in Mali and beyond;
• Financial health & reporting
• Lead budgeting and operational planning to ensure program goals are met cost-effectively and on time;
• With Director of Finance, ensure monthly finance reports for Mali operations are accurate and on-target;
• Ensure compliance with national and local financial management standards, and ensure efficient annual audits are carried out;
• Organizational and team leadership
• Produce and present regular progress and management reports to myAgro’s Senior Management Team and Board of Directors;
• Build partnerships with key stakeholders in Mali and beyond;
• Provide strong day-to-day leadership presence for the team;
• Support the professional development and retention of the Mali team;
• Cultivate the values and culture of myAgro throughout the organization.
• French and English proficiency required
• A minimum of 7 years professional work experience with at least 2 years in an organizational leadership role. Preferably your background is a mix of non-profit and corporate roles, with experience implementing projects in developing countries
• You’ve managed staff and demonstrated strong facilitation and training skills
• You’ve planned and managed a large budget
• You’ve built effective relationships with external stakeholders from the private and/or public sector
• You’ve mastered the following personal qualities and skills:
o Diligent attention to detail
o Excellent interpersonal communication
o An organized and efficient workstyle
o Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
Additionally, you should possess the following:
• You’re passionate about myAgro and our mission. You approach your work with the needs and realities of the farmers we serve in the front of your mind.
• You have exceptional and creative problem solving skills. You can work effectively in challenging and resource-constrained environments, and you’re comfortable making decisions in the face of ambiguity.
• You’re comfortable in a fast-paced, startup environment in a developing country. Flexibility, a sense of humor, an open mind, and a diligent work ethic are necessary for success.
• You’re someone who consistently exceeds expectations when dealing with beneficiaries, partners and volunteers.
• Compensation is competitive with other early-stage social enterprises
• 2 round-trip flights between West Africa and your home annually
• Travel and emergency medical insurance
• Flexible work schedule and generous vacation benefits
• Language lessons stipend provided for French refresher courses, or to learn the local languages of Bambara or Wolof
• Make a significant impact on the growth and direction of a growing social enterprise; and see the immediate impact of helping families move beyond subsistence farming!
Submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com