VP or Director of Finance
- Bamako, Mali (preferred) or Thies, Senegal
- Contact Information
Critical Requirement: Fluency in French and English
Term: 2-year minimum commitment
Anticipated start date: September 2016
About VP/Director of Finance
The Director of Finance role is a senior-level position focused on building and managing an excellent and scalable financial operation to support myAgro’s growth to more than 200,000 farmers in the next 5 years. This role is based in Bamako, Mali or Theis, Senegal with regular travel to other locations as needed. The position reports to the CFO.
Responsibilities of the position are:
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Advise the CEO, CFO and other key members of senior management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters.
- Lead country-level forecasting and budgeting.
- Oversee accounting in Mali and Senegal.
- Set and implement financial policies and processes, including providing training to staff.
- Contribute to the development of myAgro’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the CEO, CFO and COO informed of all critical issues on a regular basis.
- Build out Finance teams in Mali and Senegal to enable rapid growth, including hiring and training staff.
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the finance teams.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality by providing training and support.
- Select, implement and manage scalable systems for all financial-related operations, including working with Program and
- Technology staff to streamline and improve tracking of farmer layaways from field to headquarters.
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
- Oversee Accounting, insuring timely, accurate financial reporting for management, Board, and donors.
- With the CFO, ensure that myAgro is adhering to the strategic plan, delivering status reports to the board.
- Provide analytical support to myAgro’s internal management team including development of internal management reporting capabilities.
- Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as treasury management, grants payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A minimum of 5-10 years professional work experience with at least 2 years in a finance and operations leadership role
- French and English proficiency
- At least 2 years of living and/or working in the developing world
- Significant experience in financial management and accounting, including planning and managing a large budget
- Experience managing a team, as well as strong facilitation and training skills
- Passion for the mission, vision and values of myAgro
Preferred Skills and Qualities:
- Exceptional and creative problem solving skills
- Comfort in a fast-paced, startup environment in a developing country
- Compensation is competitive with other early-stage social enterprises
- 2 round-trip flights between West Africa and your home annually
- Excellent global health benefits, including dental, vision and emergency insurance
- Four weeks of vacation
- Make a significant impact on the growth and direction of a quickly expanding social enterprise and see the immediate impact of helping families move beyond subsistence farming!
This is an unaccompanied position. There are no additional benefits for spouses and very limited support for dependents. However, those applying are welcome to have their spouse independently apply if they are qualified for an open position.
myAgro is an award-winning social enterprise working in Mali and Senegal, West Africa. Our North Star is to reach 1 million small-scale farmers to increase their income by $1.50 per day to move out of poverty. We’re doing that by using an innovative digital layaway platform that helps farmers save up for fertilizer, seed, and training to increase the profit they earn from their farm. We are proud to have received recognition for our work from Echoing Green, Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation, One Acre Fund, Mulago Foundation, The Salesforce Foundation and The Tech Museum, among others.
Mali is a thriving country and Bamako is an international and diverse city of 2.5 million, with a small-town feel. It is also home to myAgro’s headquarters and a team of 175 people. Team members based in Mali work closely with the executive team, and have the strongest trajectory for career development and growth. When not in the field or working, our team enjoys doing yoga in the national park, hiking, rock climbing, winning at ultimate frisbee, eating delicious and lazy brunches, listening to live music or checking out the latest international festival.
Submit your resume and cover letter at https://myagro.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk063c5?cjb_hash=O_WsYz85&apply_now=true