VP or Director of Finance
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
The VP or Director of Finance role is a senior-level position focused on building and managing an excellent and scalable financial operation to support myAgro’s growth to more than 200,000 farmers in the next 5 years. This role is based in Bamako, Mali or Thies, Senegal with regular travel to the other location as needed. The position reports to the CFO. Title dependent on experience.
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Advise the CEO, CFO and other key members of senior management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters.
- Lead country-level forecasting and budgeting.
- Oversee accounting in Mali and Senegal.
- Set and implement financial policies and processes, including providing training to staff.
- Contribute to the development of myAgro’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the CEO, CFO and COO informed of all critical issues on a regular basis.
- Represent the organization externally, as necessary, particularly in banking and contract negotiations.
- Build out Finance team in Mali and Senegal to enable rapid growth, including hiring and training staff.
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the finance team.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Select, implement and manage scalable systems for all financial-related operations, including working with Program and Technology staff to streamline and improve tracking of farmer layaways from field to headquarters.
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
- Oversee Accounting, insuring timely, accurate financial reporting for management, Board and donors.
- With the CFO, ensure that myAgro is adhering to the strategic plan, delivering status reports to the board.
- Provide analytical support to myAgro’s internal management team including development of internal management reporting capabilities.
- Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as treasury management, grants payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing.
- Conduct financial analysis to assess organizational performance and help guide programming.
- Design and oversee special projects to improve efficiency or robustness of finance systems and team.
- A minimum of 5-10 years professional work experience with at least 2 years in a finance and operations leadership role
- French and English proficiency required
- Previously worked and/or lived in the developing world
- Significant experience in financial management and accounting, including planning and managing a large budget
- Experience managing a team, as well as strong facilitation and training skills
- Passion for myAgro and our mission: You approach your work with the needs and realities of the farmers we serve in the front of your mind.
- Exceptional and creative problem solving skills: You can work effectively in challenging and resource-constrained environments, and you’re comfortable making decisions in the face of ambiguity.
- Comfort in a fast-paced, startup environment in a developing country: Flexibility, a sense of humor, an open mind, and a diligent work ethic are necessary for success.
- Compensation is competitive with other early-stage social enterprises
- 2 round-trip flights between West Africa and your home annually
- Excellent global health benefits, including dental, vision and emergency insurance
- Flexible work schedule and generous vacation benefits
- Make a significant impact on the growth and direction of a growing social enterprise; and see the immediate impact of helping families move beyond subsistence farming!
This is an unaccompanied position. There are no additional benefits for partners and very limited support for dependents. However, those applying are welcome to have their partner independently apply if they are qualified for an open position.
Language Requirement: Fluency in French and English
Duration: 2-year minimum commitment
Anticipated start date: Late July/Early August 2016