WASH Process Engineer
- Naivasha, Kenya
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Applications will continue on a rolling basis until the role is filled. We’re looking for a candidate to start as soon as possible.
- Where to Apply
- Please send all applications to Talent@Sanivation.com with the subject: WASH Process Engineer.
• Sanivation is a social enterprise dedicated to improving overall health, dignity, and the environment by transforming human waste into an eco-friendly fuel. We have three factories and are rapidly expanding our work.
• Currently recruiting for a dynamic individual to join as a key member of our Projects team. S/He will have an opportunity for hands-on technical work as well as management and strategy roles. And you’ll be joining a passionate team changing the face of sanitation in East Africa.
• Looking for a WASH Engineer who wants to bring sustainable, safe sanitation to tens of thousands of people. This is an opportunity for personal impact and to help shape a new and growing department.
• Applications accepted on a rolling basis and evaluated as they come in. We will recruit until role is filled, and we’re looking for starting ASAP.
• Sanivation is a social enterprise that provides cost-effective sanitation services to help realize sustainability in urbanizing communities.
o We partner with the government to profitably manage all the fecal sludge in a city.
o We do this by turning poop into charcoal- and firewood-substitutes, and selling it. This helps curb deforestation and protect the environment from untreated human waste.
o Watch more about us here.
• We work with many different types of customers and partners: international organizations, governments, institutions, small businesses, and local citizens.
This role will report to the Director of Projects and collaborate with people across the business including Product Development and Operations teams.
The role will develop into having management responsibility of fellows and a local team.
The role will manage projects across the Infrastructure Lifecycle on feasibility, design, commissioning, and operation.
It will require immense creativity while grounding ideas in experience and data, and a passion for figuring things out the hard way.
• University degree in engineering
• Work experience as an engineer in water, wastewater, sanitation or similar engineering field.
• Experience working in a developing country. East Africa preferred.
• Willing to live in Kenya full time, strong preference for 2 year commitment
• Leading projects and managing teams
• Experience at various stages of the project lifecycle i.e. feasibility, design, construction, commissioning, operation and asset management
• Comfort working with a diverse, energetic team with changing priorities and tight deadlines
• Working with a large, multinational organization
• Experience in fecal sludge management strongly preferred
• Experience in manufacturing
• Professionally certified engineer
• Experience checking and/or approving documents
• Training in Health and Safety
• Able to speak Swahili or eagerness to learn
• Excellent cross-cultural communication
• Open-minded, inquisitive and critical approach to sanitation services
• Ability to focus on the details while still pushing towards high-level goals
• Comfortable with ambiguity, risk and change; we are a startup building something completely new, so the road will be bumpy and exciting!
• Confidence to challenge assumptions and behavior – to say the unpopular thing, raise opposing viewpoints and questions decisions made from above
• Passionate about social causes and a sense of humor
• Company growth
o Key member of design team for expansion treatment plants
o Advising on expansion strategy from a technology and systems perspective
o Collaborating on innovative new products with Product Development team
• Process commissioning
o Leading commissioning procedures including: data collection, SOP creation, H&S, troubleshooting
o Testing new machinery and equipment before passing it to Operations
• Operational improvement
o Leading data collection and management to inform future designs and improve current processes
o Establishing maintenance procedures
• Improving company-wide engineering standards
o Applying external perspective and experience to all work at Sanivation
o Recommending and implementing best practices from previous experience across design, construction, H&S and company culture.
o Supporting professional development of engineers at Sanivation