West Africa Business Associate
- Lagos, Nigeria
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $117 million in 116 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world.
Acumen West Africa
Acumen has been active in West Africa since 2012, managing investments across Nigeria, Ghana and Sierra Leone. In 2019, Acumen West Africa is moving its regional base to Lagos, and launching the inaugural cohort of the West Africa Fellows program.
As our team and operations are growing, we are looking for someone to support a wide variety of needs, including travel coordination, fundraising research, office management, and administrative support to the regional director.
Who You Are
You are hardworking, smart, and energetic. You are exceptional at execution, you have a strong attention to detail, you are a natural problem solver, and you are excited by a fast-paced, global work environment that demands excellence. Candidates will be passionate about the work of Acumen and willing to roll up their sleeves on administrative and operational tasks while having the opportunity to make sustained contributions to building our team and impact.
The Acumen West Africa team is small, fun and committed and the Business Associate will play two important roles: championing the operational needs of the West Africa team, and providing executive support to the West Africa Director.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Act as internal resource and liaison for various operational needs (technology, insurance, security, general office administration, etc.) and lead vendor relationships
• Coordinating logistics for local Acumen events, planning and coordinating with the host, managing guest lists, caterers and other vendors
• Preparation of materials for external meetings, primarily in service of advancing fundraising goals
• Manage office petty cash and support accountants in processing of payments
• Maintain a presence at desk in order to efficiently and expediently respond to the immediate needs of the team and visitors
Travel and Logistics:
• Manage travel logistics for Fellows from five countries traveling to quarterly seminars
• Assist with securing a variety of visas – those entering UK, traveling to US and to our regions of operation. Forecast and obtain the appropriate medical documentation, passport pages, and travel visas in advance of international trips (when necessary)
• Support global staff in making travel and lodging arrangements when visiting West Africa
• Update essential logistical information (meeting locations, dial in numbers) so that all internal and external parties, with whom the West Africa Director is meeting, have complete and accurate information.
• Support the West Africa Director in submission of expense reports
Qualifications & Characteristics
• At least 2-4 years’ experience in executive support or entry-level programmatic roles
• Strong project management skills; a demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for a diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner with limited supervision.
• Complete discretion with sensitive information, both within the company and externally
• Commitment to accuracy, attention to detail and follow-through
• Dedication to working within the non-profit sector; strong willingness to affect change with an understanding of challenges often encountered
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Exemplary interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across geographies, functions and levels of the organization.
• Proven mastery of Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Experience with Salesforce or other major CRM program preferred
• Comfort with basic bookkeeping or budget management also preferred
• Permanent authorization to work in Nigeria
In addition, characteristics we look for in all positions at Acumen
• Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
• Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
• Curious – always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including full benefits.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.