West Africa Portfolio Manager
- Accra, Ghana
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Acumen West Africa is looking for an experienced Portfolio Manager to help build and manage our world-class investments that impact the poor.
Acumen started as an idea by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001. Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. We have invested more than $88million of patient capital in more than 82 social enterprises across Africa, America, Latin America and South Asia that have collectively impacted over 100 million lives. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the Knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world.
Acumen West Africa
Acumen West Africa has a strong foundation and is ready to take our mission to the next level. Core to our success is the ability to identify, resource, and build a world class portfolio that demonstrates the power of patient capital to solve the problems of poverty in West Africa and the world more broadly. Equally important is to leverage our experience into insights that compel this ecosystem of funders, operators, and policy makers to catalyze a broader paradigm shift in the battle against poverty.
As Portfolio Manager, you will play a key role in the success, development and impact of Acumen’s portfolio in West Africa. As part of your core function, you will grow our portfolio by identifying and developing a strong pipeline of investment opportunities and provide management support to existing portfolio companies by building relationships, identifying key challenges and mobilizing resources. In addition, you will play a critical role shaping Acumen’s portfolio strategy, management process, team and influence in West Africa. The Portfolio Manager reports to the West Africa Director.
More specifically, you will:
- Identify, cultivate and execute a pipeline of fresh investment opportunities providing critical services to the poor
- Identify pipeline: Build an exhaustive network of relationships (including corporate, entrepreneur, NGO, academic, investor, advisory) to identify new pipeline opportunities for Acumen
- Conduct Investment Processes: Develop attractive opportunities by building relationships with promoters; conducting evaluations and analyses; thorough due diligence; and structure and execute investments
- Investment documentation: Prepare, present, and maintain detailed and compelling investment documentation for Acumen’s Investment Committee, and Board of Directors
- Develop and implement a post-investment management strategy to add significant value to investee companies
- Assess portfolio company needs related to post investment support; design and implement post-investment management interventions in partnership with Global Post Investment Manager
- Serve in a senior relationship capacity for Acumen West Africa, developing close contact with portfolio company promoters, including representing Acumen on portfolio company Boards
- Design and evaluate key metrics to measure the social and financial returns on investments
- Develop long-term relationships with external stakeholders including funders, advisors, thought leaders, sector and functional experts to provide business development and strategic post-investment management across the West Africa Portfolio
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree is required; preferably MBA
- Strong financial modeling and business analysis skills as demonstrated by prior experience is required
Ideal candidates will demonstrate accomplishment through some of the following experience:
- 7-10 years of principal investing experience, including financial and operational due diligence of private companies. Understanding of early stage businesses and entrepreneurs OR
- 7-10 years of management consulting or operational experience with a proven track record of delivering operational and management support to companies or internal units
- Significant commitment or experience with the social enterprise sector in West Africa
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently and under pressure.
- Familiarity with the social enterprise sector and impact investing sectors
- Specialist experience in agriculture and /or renewable energy issues is a plus
- Excellent communication and networking skills
- Authorization to work in Ghana is required.
Additional characteristics we’re looking for in all roles at Acumen:
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission, business model and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect
- Moral Imagination: The humility to see the world as it is, and the audacity to imagine the world as it could be. It also includes but is not limited to the following:
- Displaying high level of empathy in all relationships and encounters
- Possessing deep self-awareness and ability to identify own strengths and weaknesses
- Actively listening and focusing on hearing what others are saying
- Good understanding of financial concepts and our investing model
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team orientation
- Strong communication skills and ability to be a “storyteller” of our work
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- Curious – always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting
- A sense of humor (really)
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including full benefits.