Kenya Climate Innovation Center (KCIC) is implementing ‘Sustainable Waste Innovation for a Future in Transition (SWIFT)’, a three-year programme targeting Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in the waste management sector in Kenya. Funded by the IKEA Foundation, the programme’s primary objective is to transform the waste management sector through innovative business models that embrace the principles of circular economy.
KCIC is placing a call for applications to enrol SMEs operating in the waste management sector in Kenya for either incubation or acceleration under the SWIFT programme. Selected enterprises will receive support ranging from business advisory services, technical assistance, mentorship, access to finance, and by fostering an enabling business environment through advocacy and policy support.
Before filling this application form, kindly ensure you have read and understood the application guidelines on the KCIC website (www.kenyacic.org/swift/) or the PDF version of the same here. If you have already read the guidelines, kindly proceed and fill the form.
This is an 18-month program targeting early-stage businesses that have at least developed a minimum viable product (MVP) or a working prototype. The businesses will receive tailored business advisory services, intensive practical training, and business coaching to enable them gain market acceptability and progress towards full commercialization. Enterprises that successfully complete this program can apply for the Accelerator Programme.
The following are the eligibility metrics for the Incubation programme:
- Business must be legally registered, located, and operating in Kenya
- The business must be operating within the waste management sector.
- Business should have management books of accounts of at least 1 year
- Business must have been operational for at least 2 years.
- Business should have a working prototype/minimum viable product.
- Climate Impact- Business must have an impact on climate adaptation, mitigation, and demonstrate environmental benefits.
- Scalability – A feasible business model that shows a clear and compelling mission to grow a sustainable and commercially viable business.
- Should have revenues between USD 10,000 – USD 30,000 per annum.
- The business must currently employ at least 5 employees.
- Proof of Market with at least 5 existing customers.
- Innovation- the business must demonstrate uniqueness of the product, service, or business model in combating climate change.