Senior Investment Manager
- AV Ventures, LLC
- Accra, Ghana
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Who we are. AV Ventures, LLC is a mission-driven investment management company based in Washington, DC that works to cultivate inclusive growth by managing socially-driven investments in agribusinesses in emerging markets, launching first in Ghana. AV Ventures is a wholly-owned subsidiary of ACDI/VOCA, an international development nonprofit organization based in Washington, D.C, United States that fosters broad-based economic growth, particularly through catalyzing investment and market systems development in agriculture and food supply chains in emerging markets.
As a part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture-funded Ghana Poultry Project (GPP) implemented by ACDI/VOCA, AV Ventures lends blended capital to financial institutions and small and medium-sized enterprises in Ghana’s poultry sector to generate a positive social, environmental, and economic impact, as well as a financial return.
What we need. The Senior Investment Manager will be an integral member of AV Ventures, leading and managing sourcing, due diligence, portfolio management, and relationships with pipeline companies and investors based in Ghana. The Senior Investment Manager will report to the Managing Director of AV Ventures, based in Washington, DC; oversee an Investment Associate and consultants in Ghana; collaborate closely with the rest of the AV Ventures team based in Washington, DC, and, for the life of the USDA-funded Ghana Poultry Program (GPP), work in collaboration with the GPP team in Ghana to:
1. Maintain and grow AV Ventures’ current investment pipeline, originate new investments, and analyze investment proposals for viability and recommend those to move forward on to the investment committee.
2. Oversee full due diligence on possible investments, including analysis of business plans, financial viability, commitment to social performance, management, taxes, legal, risk, and develop models for investment projections.
3. Draw up related investment documents for investments in Ghana, including but not limited to term sheets, investment agreements, policies, and procedures.
4. Support and monitor portfolio companies post-investment per investment agreements; identify, design, and recommend technical assistance to investee companies; serve as the lead point of contact in Ghana for investees on repayment.
5. Support reporting and data processes for portfolio companies in regards to financial and social performance reporting per AV Ventures’ Impact Assessment Framework.
6. Participate in ideation of innovative financial structures that would be tailored to each client design and prep pitch decks to investment committees.
7. Participate on the AV Ventures Ghana investment committee as a voting member on investment decisions.
8. Develop relationships with potential co-investors and industry partners; grow relationships into co-financing opportunities or additional capital into AV Ventures Ghana.
9. Actively participate in AV Ventures’ international growth strategy development, particularly as it relates to growth on the African continent.
10. Work with US- or Ghana-based legal counsel and accounting teams as necessary for operational and administrative work flow.
11. Regularly (daily/bi-weekly) update the DC-based team through calls, reports, and updates.
12. Coordinate work with DC-based team members during DC-Accra visits over the duration of the contract.
13. Oversee AV Ventures staff and/or consultants as may be hired.
Who you are. We’re looking for a Senior Investment Manager with the following characteristics:
Highly entrepreneurial, collaborative, strong leader, with a sense of humor.
Minimum of 9 years of total work experience, with at least 5 years in venture capital, private equity, impact investing, finance and banking, or similar.
MBA or Master’s degree in business or finance.
Extensive experience with writing and pitching investment memos, conducting due diligence, deal negotiations, deal structuring, and financial modeling.
Proven experience in identifying, evaluating, and closing transactions and managing multiple projects.
Excited and willing to live in Accra, Ghana, with travel throughout the country to portfolio and pipeline companies.
Strong skills in Excel and PowerPoint.
Fluent in English.
Current or recent relevant work in Ghana and/or West Africa is a major plus.
Agribusiness experience is a plus.
Ability to start in/about August 2017.
The package. AV Ventures offers a competitive compensation package that includes a base salary, performance-based compensation, and other benefits.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you. Send your resume and 1 page cover letter outlining your experience and interest in the position to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants may be asked to provide references after initial application review. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis through June 30, 2017.
To learn more about AV Ventures and ACDI/VOCA, check out our website at http://www.acdivoca.org/about/