Burkina Faso: Village co-operative works for electrification

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

“The cooperatives in Burkina Faso act like any other client of the electricity company–buying power and then selling it to the villagers. While 60 percent of the start up funds is paid for subsidies and donor support, the villagers with the help of interest-free loans will fund the remaining 40 percent.” ’Electricity is a powerful tool for the development and for poverty reduction, that is why we immediately saw the importance of the electrification project,’ explained El Hadj Boureima Sawadogo, the cooperative chairman.” Read full article here.

Source: IRIN News