Safaricom Will Reduce Investment if Kenyan Regulators Move to Limit Its Dominance
Monday, February 23, 2015
Safaricom Ltd. will cut its planned $400 million investment in East Africa’s biggest economy this year if Kenyan regulators impose penalties on the wireless carrier to limit its market dominance, its chief executive officer said.
“If you start to slice the legs off this particular company, we’ll have to pull back on that type of investment,” CEO Bob Collymore said in an interview on Wednesday in the capital, Nairobi, following a report that a government minister had questioned Safaricom’s majority share of the telecommunications market. “We’re all up for going through the process, defining the areas that we may or may not be dominant in, defining what the abuse is, and defining what the remedies are.”
Safaricom, which is 40 percent owned by England-based Vodafone Plc, has 76 percent of the voice market in Kenya while its customers send 93 percent of all the country’s text messages, according to a report by the Communications Authority of Kenya for July to September 2014.
East Africa’s biggest company by market value also had about three quarters of mobile-money transfers — a way of making payments using mobile phones — where it faces competition from a new product by Bharti Airtel Ltd.’s Kenyan unit.
Communications Secretary Fred Matiang’i wrote to the industry regulator late last year to ask why Safaricom hadn’t been declared a dominant provider, the Daily Nation newspaper reported Feb. 17. That could lead to penalties for Safaricom such as an order to share its network with smaller competitors. Matiang’i wasn’t available when Bloomberg News called him and didn’t immediately respond to an e-mailed request for comment.
Safaricom shares gained 1.7 percent to 15.40 shillings as of 2:52 p.m. in Nairobi on Friday, valuing the company at 617 billion shillings ($6.7 billion).