- Eastern Congo Initiative (ECI)
- Remote, US-based
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Apply and submit a cover letter at the link shared here
- Where to Apply
Alight is recruiting a Communications Associate for ECI. So you’re interested in joining them? Welcome, they’re happy you’re here.
Eastern Congo Initiative (ECI) is recruiting a Communications Associate to tell the stories of their transformative work in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). https://www.easterncongo.org/
ECI was founded by Ben Affleck and Whitney Williams ten years ago to advocate for the boundless potential of the Congolese people, strengthen markets for Congolese goods, and invest directly in the community-based organizations that are rebuilding Congolese society from the ground up.
Starting in 2019, ECI became part of Alight, a team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. As part of that merger, ECI acquired Asili, a revolutionary social enterprise platform that reinvents humanitarian aid as startup capital for self-sustaining businesses, operated by and for the communities who need them.
Together, ECI and Asili are making international development funds go farther than ever before — and fundamentally change how the world thinks of humanitarian aid. ECI does advocacy and grantmaking help build a thriving civil society in ways markets can’t, and they’re building a sustainable local marketplace to strengthen local economies in ways philanthropy can’t.
Here are three core beliefs that guide their work:
● They know they need to always be better, and they believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with them.
● They have a culture of radical accountability to their customers –as they help build a meaningful life for and with the people of eastern Congo, they ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
● They refuse to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
As the Communications Associate, you will support ECI through the creation of a wide-range of communications. You’ll create better content – content that deepens empathy and understanding, and drives powerful action. You’ll work with the team to coordinate content offers – refining and improving existing content and designing new content.
You’ll provide steady, joyful, humble leadership for the work of communicating about the transformative things they’re doing in partnership with the Congolese people. You’ll use your expertise and creativity to develop and implement plans that tell the stories of their team, their customers and their partners. The team operates in eastern Congo, with a few staff based in the US and they all work remotely — you can too.
They are proud to work on borderless teams. They hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and specifically encourage members of refugee, immigrant or other displaced communities to join them.
Since they’ve acquired Asili, ECI has been evolving rapidly. Your work will evolve too. For now, here’s how they anticipate you’ll spend your time:
Execute diverse assets and communications that are consistent with the ECI brand standard.
● Manage the content creation process. From conception to content gathering, writing, editing, publishing and coordinating with the team
● Content development. In the early stages, you’ll develop internal and external communications including handouts, fact sheets, situation reports, donor materials, etc.
● Establish and implement the brand voice of ECI through all content on all platforms through the design and implementation of materials
● Assist with the development of communications materials related to donor-facing materials, events as well as designated special projects and campaigns
● Manage vendor relationships including acting as the liaison between vendors, staff and designers
Strategize and implement shared stories of success that inspire a greater external audience.
● Design, coordinate and support the storytelling needs of each program and special projects, including PR and advocacy support
● Manage ECI and Asili social media accounts, website, blog to amplify voices from the field
● Continue to grow and manage the digital asset system and collection.
● Provide technical competencies with mainstream social media, videography, visual and audio platforms
Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
● At least 2-4 years of experience telling the story of an international organization and its people, particularly in challenging situations
● The strongest writing skills focused on story-telling
● Make quick and values-based decisions about how to communicate, based on your experience and integrity.
● Excellent interpersonal skills: the ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically. Ability to establish productive relationships with all kinds of people
● Excellent organizational skills: the ability to work productively in a fast-paced environment, to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, to meet deadlines and keep a cool head under pressure
● The ability to create a plan from scratch, and inspire others to help you achieve it
● Flexible, flexible, flexible: they respond to opportunity as it arises and it rarely fits their schedule or is in their plans
● A proven track record of working with different forms of media to create inspiring video, photography, digital content and print materials
● Must be eligible for work in the United States. Travel required as needed up to 10% of the time
● Bachelor’s degree or commensurate work experience
A cover letter is required as part of the application as an opportunity for you to share your writing skills
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
● Humility. You learn from others with an open heart and open mind.
● Inclusivity. Their diversity is their strength. You value diversity of opinion and thought. You invite all voices to the table regardless of gender, ethnicity/tribe, sexual orientation, or physical/mental ability.
● Empathy. You know how to really hear other people and understand their meaning.
● Joy. Seriously! They believe that play and joy are core to co-creating value with customers, and the Congolese people are the most joyful they’ve ever met.
● Flexibility. They’re constantly designing and iterating. You’ll be working in ambiguity always – embrace it and see the possibility that it allows. The ability to roll with it will make that easier.
● Creativity. You have the ability to apply sound judgement and innovative ideas to meet challenges presented.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
● Borderless Team worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day
● Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals.
● Health, dental, and MedEvac Insurance – They strive to offer the best-in-class healthcare plans to their staff each year. They cover 100% of the cost for your health premium and 75% of the cost for coverage for your spouse/dependents
● Retirement – They contribute 6% of your salary regardless of your contribution amount, after one year of service.
● Generous Leave Time – Between vacation days, personal leave days, and holidays, you have ample opportunity to take time off when you need it.
ECI is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. ECI complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.