- The Good Food Institute Europe
- Home-based within Europe
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Full-time, permanent
- Where to Apply
Drive the narrative to support a sustainable, secure and just food system.
Industrial animal agriculture is at the root of many of the most pressing global issues of their time, from climate change and global hunger, to antibiotic resistance, pandemic risk and poor animal welfare.
The Good Food Institute Europe (GFI Europe) is at the forefront of the movement to replace the products of industrial animal agriculture with plant-based and cultivated (grown from cells) alternatives. Please check out their US affiliate’s website (gfi.org) and read the 2020 Year in Review (gfi.org/2020) to find out more about who they are and what they do.
They are at an exciting stage in their growth and are looking for a Communications Officer to join their team. For more information about this role, please check out the job brochure: shorturl.at/xFIQ9.
How you will make a difference:
You will deliver impact across the entire spectrum of communications disciplines, including media and public relations, digital and social media, and the production of content and materials. Your ‘North Star’ will be to advance plant-based and cultivated meat and seafood across Europe, and to help build GFI Europe’s reputation as the go-to thought leader within the sector.
As a key member of their small communications team, you will be responsible for:
● Leading, developing and delivering communications campaigns to drive a positive narrative for GFI Europe and plant-based and cultivated meat and seafood.
● Writing and placing quotes, press releases, op-eds and blogs to deliver and shape positive coverage for GFI Europe and the sustainable proteins sector.
● Delivering clear, impactful narratives and key messages across all communications channels.
● Understanding and following the European conversation around sustainable proteins to identify new opportunities to advance the sector and GFI Europe’s work in key European countries.
● Building relationships with journalists across Europe in the fields of science, business, food, agriculture, and policy.
● Building relationships with and influencing key organisations and companies across Europe to strengthen the narrative that supports the sustainable proteins sector.
● Working with agencies and freelancers to support the delivery of effective communications in multiple European languages.
● Working with fundraising colleagues to implement strategies for reaching, recruiting and stewarding supporters.
● Supporting GFI Europe spokespeople to prepare for interviews and events.
● Developing social media content and helping to manage GFI Europe’s channels.
● Developing web content and updating GFI Europe’s website.
● Monitoring and evaluating GFI Europe’s communications.
● Maintaining a forward plan of GFI Europe’s communications activities.
● Performing other tasks as required as a member of their small team.
Who they’re looking for:
You must have:
● A passion for GFI’s philosophy and mission.
● Previous communications experience, for example in public relations, media relations, social media or journalism.
● Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including the ability to write persuasive press releases and articles.
● A passion for, and demonstrated success with, proactive media outreach, including effectively developing and pitching stories to journalists that resulted in positive coverage.
● The ability to think strategically in terms of audience, channels and messaging.
● Good judgment and news-sense: to successfully spot opportunities and ‘hooks’ to secure coverage, and to get the substance, tone and nuance of their message right.
● Excellent people-skills: the ability to influence, network, build alliances and work well in a team.
● A can-do approach: a self-starter with the drive and initiative to take responsibility for delivering communications impact.
● Comfort working remotely in a rapidly-growing and evolving organisation: the ability to work well independently and under pressure, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
● Outstanding English, both written and spoken.
It would be an advantage – but it is not a requirement – to have:
● The ability to work in French, German, Spanish and/or Italian.
They want the best people and they don’t want biases holding them back. They strongly encourage people of every colour, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because they value a diverse workplace, they prioritise an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The Fine Print:
● Terms of employment: Full-time, permanent
● Location: Flexible – they will consider applicants from anywhere in Europe. You will mainly be working remotely: from your home, or wherever you choose. Once the Covid-19 situation has cleared, you and the whole GFI Europe team will get together in person approximately twice per year for around 3-4 days at a time, most likely in the London area or Brussels. There may also be other occasional work trips within Europe.
● Salary: £32,000 – £35,000. This range is based on a UK hire and will be adjusted if hired elsewhere in Europe. They also offer a generous holiday allowance as well as home-working allowances.
● Right to work requirements: You must have the right to work in the country where you are based.
● Application Deadline: 31 May 2021 at 11.59pm BST. They will be assessing candidates on a rolling basis, so please apply now!
● Application process: Please complete the short form, upload your CV and cover letter, and complete a short press release task: https://forms.gle/
1. What motivated you to apply for this role.
2. How you meet each of the requirements for the role as listed in the job description.
3. Which bit of the job description energises you the most.
The full application process is outlined in the job brochure here: http://shorturl.at/xFIQ9. They really look forward to hearing from you!
Any questions? If you have any questions about this role, please reach out to them at email@example.com. Thank you.