Regional Director, East Africa
- Yunus Social Business
- Kampala or Nairobi
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
*About Yunus Social Business (YSB)*
YSB is a venture philanthropy fund. We believe that business can be used to solve human problems. We turn donations into investments in social businesses that provide employment, education, healthcare, clean water and clean energy to five a million people worldwide.
Founded in 2011 by Saskia Bruysten and Nobel Peace Laureate Muhammad Yunus, our mission is to promote social business as a sustainable alternative to long-term aid, bridging the gap between business and philanthropy.
Our social business venture fund covers 5 countries (Brazil, Colombia, India, Kenya and Uganda) and our in-country teams run regular workshops and social business investment readiness programs for entrepreneurs. We invest in promising social businesses providing them with patient finance as well as long term business support.
Our portfolio provides healthcare, education, clean water and energy to 5 million people and provides higher incomes to 35,000 people in East Africa, Latin America & India.
Our work with social businesses has inspired over 20+ global corporations including Danone, Veolia, McCain, BASF, Uniqlo, MAN and Tata Trusts to build corporate social ventures themselves.
We at YSB are currently a global team of 50 people with experience in entrepreneurship, consulting, venture capital, business incubation, finance and international development.
YSB is headquartered in Germany and we have an on-the-ground presence through our local country teams in Brazil, Colombia, Uganda, Kenya and India. YSB also has presence in our network countries which are the Balkans, Haiti, and Tunisia.
*About YSB’s Activities in East Africa*
YSB began its operations in East Africa in 2013 as a pilot program with the African Development Bank devoted to promoting and creating an environment within which social businesses can thrive in Uganda.
YSB started funding Social Businesses in Uganda in 2015 where it now has a portfolio of 8 Social Businesses.
The Regional Director (RD), East Africa will be in charge of building YSB’s activities in East Africa starting with the current operations in Uganda and Kenya. This will include defining and implementing YSB’s strategy in East Africa, leading the regional YSB investment and portfolio team, managing investments, active portfolio management of social businesses as well as managing pre-investment support programs, fundraising and building YSB’s profile in the region.
The RD will be the face of YSB in East Africa and will be expected to raise the profile of the organization as well as play an active role in building productive relationships with a large variety of stakeholders, which include portfolio companies, partners, media, civil society and government. S/he will support, coach and lead the current YSB teams in Uganda and Kenya by example. The RD will also play a key role in ensuring that the teams at YSB Global and YSB in East Africa work effectively together.
Additionally, the RD will be charged with spearheading YSB’s local fundraising efforts. The RD will play a key role in developing, refining and implementing YSB’s strategy in East Africa and will ultimately be responsible for ensuring the organisation’s financial sustainability in East Africa.
*Reporting and Relationships*
The RD reports directly to the East Africa Regional Boards of Directors. S/he will oversee the Ugandan and Kenyan teams and liaises with global teams located at YSB’s Headquarters in Germany and across other country offices around the world, as well as with local stakeholders, especially the Kenyan Partners.
*Location and Travel Requirements*
The RD will be based either at Kampala (preferred) or in Nairobi. In any case, the RD is expected to spend approximately 50% of their time in each country.
• Development of the annual budget as well as the long-term business plans for YSB East Africa including individual country plans, as well as the responsibility for the efficient execution of the agreed plans with the goal of building and leading strong teams which will be able to identify and support current social businesses in Uganda and Kenya with strong social impact.
• Oversight and coordination of activities by the country teams, including sourcing, due diligence, financing, and active portfolio management and support of social businesses, as well as pre-investment support programs.
• Support/coaching of our country investment teams in performing best in class due diligence and support of Social Businesses
• Ensure that our portfolio companies develop into resilient organizations with the ability to scale and maximize their impact.
• Ensure high repayment rates and systematic operational and financial KPI reporting from portfolio companies, as well as consistent tracking and evaluation of their social impact.
• Raising the profile and awareness of YSB in East Africa, and positively influencing the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in the country
• Active fundraising of local/regional/international philanthropic capital for support of social business in East Africa, with a focus on Uganda and Kenya, as well as relationship management and activity and financial reporting to funders.
• Development of the financial sustainability plan of YSB East Africa (as well as individual country plans) from an operational point of view, as well as its implementation.
• Be an integral part of the international leadership team, contributing to YSB’s worldwide strategy
• Close interaction with the Heads of other YSB countries (for example Brazil, Colombia, India), as well as, with the YSB Global team to share learnings and exchange of best practices.
• Main point of contact for all local partners and stakeholders, including contractors and staff of Social Businesses, NGOs and associations, local development agencies and international media, universities and national and local government.
• Administrative, legal and financial responsibility, including budget planning, supervision of accounting, consolidation of regular financial reports.
• Other duties and responsibilities, as required, to help ensure that YSB succeeds in achieving its overall goals in East Africa.
*Experience, Skills and Attributes Required*
• Extensive prior experience within a Venture Capital or Impact Investing firm, ideally in an international setting, including East Africa, with an active role in supporting portfolio companies
• Experience in working with early-stage entrepreneurs and/or SMEs
• Strong analytical skills – you are a critical-thinker who is able to challenge business assumptions
• Self-starter with solid communications skills who can manage projects independently and is able to manage several projects at the same time under time pressure
• Excited about being part of a diverse, fast-paced, global start-up environment
• You are passionate about and immersed into relevant topics, developments and conversations in the field of social impact and innovation
• Excellent Excel/ gSheets and PowerPoint skills
• You are fluent in spoken and written English
• Fluency in Luganda, Kiswahili and other local languages would be beneficial
*What YSB Offers*
• A great opportunity to use your talent, skills and enthusiasm to help grow social businesses with us!
• An exciting work environment with great scope for taking on significant responsibilities within projects and within the organization.
• A lot of joy in all our projects and a dynamic, open-minded, experienced and international team from over 14 nationalities.
The recruitment process is managed by Tafuta Associates, a boutique executive search firm based in East Africa that specialises in equipping social enterprises with the best C-level talent.
• Long-listing will take place on an ongoing basis and those candidates selected will be informed and invited for a preliminary interview.
• Preliminary interviews will ideally take the form of face-to-face interviews. If this is not possible, Skype interviews will be held instead.
• A series of interviews (in-person or video conference, as appropriate) with senior members of management at YSB.
• References will be taken up before a final offer of employment is made.
How to Apply
To apply, you should submit a copy of your CV to email@example.com
Please submit your CV before 15th January 2019.
If you have questions:
If, after reading this material, you have further questions about any aspect of this search, or if you wish to have an informal and confidential discussion about the position, you can contact:
Founder and Managing Director
Tafuta Associates Limited
M2, The Mirage
P.O. Box 1730-00606
+254 711 113 863