Job: Development Officer at E+Co
Position: Development Officer
Location: Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA; international travel to Africa, Asia and Latin America.
Organization: E+Co, a non-profit investment firm focusing on clean energy enterprises in developing countries, is seeking a qualified graduate level (Masters) student for research and writing assignments. The internship will last 3-6 months with flexible degrees of workload. E+Co cannot offer any remuneration. The intern can be based near one of E+Co’s offices in Amsterdam (NL) or Bloomfield, New Jersey (USA) or the work can be conducted remotely supported by e-mail and phone calls.
E+Co is non-profit investment company that invests business support services and capital in energy businesses in Africa, Asia and Latin America. With almost 15 years of experience and offices in 10 countries, E+Co’s innovative business model provides lasting solutions to climate change and poverty.
Position Overview: The Development Officer will manage E+Co’s fundraising programs, working closely with and reporting directly to the Executive Vice President. E+Co’s business plan has established an ambitious fundraising program with an emphasis on building relationships with key partners including corporations, foundations, institutional investors and high net-worth individuals. The goal is to increase our charitable and corporate grant and donation receipts to more than $5 million annually and to secure investment capital totaling more than $20 million annually. The Development Officer will take the lead in managing the portion of E+Co’s fundraising that focuses on philanthropic support.
Position responsibilities: Building on E+Co’s fundraising success, the Development Officer will develop and implement a charitable and corporate giving strategy that results in the successful fulfillment of shortand long-term donation and grant goals.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work in close partnership with the Executive Vice President and senior management team to develop a comprehensive fundraising plan.
- Implement and manage the annual fundraising strategy, working with the Communications Officer on the creation and development of all fundraising materials.
- Identify individual, foundation and corporate prospects, make a plan to maximize their giving, and work to implement that plan, including submitting compelling and timely proposals to foundations and corporations.
- Seek, cultivate and manage relationships with individuals, foundations and corporations as appropriate.
- Participate in face-to-face solicitations, as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with the philanthropic community, individual donors, sponsors, board members and volunteers.
- Serve as a visible spokesperson and advocate for E+Co’s mission and programs in the funding community.
- Establish systems- including operationalizing E+Co’s funder database-to ensure the development of timely progress and financial reports.
Qualifications and experience: The successful candidate will be team-oriented, able to deal with ambiguity, committed to the “Triple Bottom Line” of financial, social and environmental returns, self-motivated, and will have a sense of humor bringing to E+Co the following attributes:
- 3-5 years experience in fundraising with a focus on foundations and corporations.
- Successful track record of developing and implementing a charitable and corporate donations strategy of at least $2 million in annual giving.
- Superb writing skills with a successful track record of writing proposals that are funded.
- Experience in communicating complex concepts to a wide range of audiences, including corporate executives and family and corporate foundation officers.
- Experience and comfort making presentations to funders and peer organizations.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Experience and ability in developing fundraising or sales systems.
- Ability to inspire, create and sustain highly functional teams that function across the organization.
- Strong interpersonal communication and relationship skills.
Compensation: E+Co offers a competitive salary and benefit package.
Contact: If you feel that your experience base and interests qualify, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by January 20th, 2009. Your submission will be acknowledged. If the search committee wishes to learn more, you will be contacted by email no later than February 1st, 2009. Please do not follow-up with E+Co staff or board members.