Climate Changes Everything: Creating a Blueprint for Media Transformation
Join leading journalists from around the world on September 21 and 22 in New York for an unprecedented conversation about how to cover a world on fire.
Reporters, editors, and news executives from Agence France-Presse, the Associated Press, CBS News, Puerto Rico’s Center for Investigative Journalism, France Télévisions, the Guardian, South Florida’s NBC 6, NowThis, Telemundo, TIME, The Times of India, and The Weather Channel — among many other outlets, large and small — will join with hundreds of colleagues to chart a course for tackling the climate story in ways that drive attention and impact while highlighting solutions and justice.
Hear from newsrooms innovating to meet the moment: How can news outlets everywhere treat climate change as a story for every beat, not just silo it on the weather desk?
- Discuss whether news outlets should still take fossil fuel advertising, and how journalists can grapple with climate disinformation.
- Look ahead to 2024 elections that will have profound implications for global climate action. How can journalists make those implications clear to voters, refute misinformation, and hold candidates accountable?
- Learn from journalists covering and living in frontline communities how to highlight climate justice in our reporting.
- Recognize that telling the entire climate story means not just including solutions — but interrogating those solutions, so the public and policymakers know which ones actually work.
- Plus, get a front row seat to interviews with special guests and global climate luminaries.
CLIMATE CHANGES EVERYTHING will be a participatory event, with networking breaks, a town hall, and working sessions on key conference themes.
We’re at a moment of historic opportunity for journalism. Climate coverage around the world is better than ever, but so much more is needed: more energy, more creativity, more commitment. Let’s forge a path forward, together.
Space is limited. Working journalists will have priority. Apply to attend!
Location: Columbia Journalism School | 2950 Broadway New York, NY 10027
Dates: September 21, 2023 - September 22, 2023