Extended Term Consultant – External Affairs Officer
- World Bank
- Washington, DC
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Where to Apply
The successful candidate(s) will demonstrate the following WBG Core Competencies:
• Proactively addresses clients’ stated and unstated needs
• Adds value by constantly looking for a better way to get more impactful results; sets challenging stretch goals for oneself
• Immerses oneself in client experiences and perspective by asking probing questions to understand unmet needs
• Demonstrates accountability for achieving results that have a development impact and financial, environmental and social sustainability. Identifies and proposes solutions to mitigate and manage risks.
Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries
• Collaborates across boundaries, gives own perspective and willingly receives diverse perspectives
• Appropriately involves others in decision making and communicates with key stakeholders
• Approaches conflicts as common problems to be solved. Actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches displaying a sense of mutuality and respect
• Integrates WBG perspective into work
Lead and Innovate
• Develops innovative solutions
• Contributes new insights to understand situations and develops solutions to resolve complex problems
• Adapts as circumstances require and manages impact of own behavior on others in context of WBG’s values and mission
• Identifies and pursues innovative approaches to resolve issues
Create, Apply, and Share Knowledge
• Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen solutions for internal and/or external clients
• Leverages department’s expertise and body of knowledge across WBG to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions
• Seeks to learn from more experienced staff to deepen or strengthen their professional knowledge and helps others to learn
• Builds personal and professional networks inside and outside the department unit
Making Smart Decisions
• Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward
• Seeks diversity of information and inputs, researches possible solutions, and generates recommended options
• Identifies and understands risks and proposes recommendations
• Based on risk analysis makes decisions in a timely manner within own area of responsibility, considering the interests and concerns of stakeholders
In addition to meeting the World Bank-wide general criteria for this level positions, it is expected that the selected candidate would meet the following criteria (in order of importance):
• Master’s degree and minimum 5 years of professional experience in a relevant discipline (e.g.: communication, journalism, etc.) or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated experience in climate change communications and knowledge of key trends and related communication issues.
• Demonstrated social media experience including (a) identifying, writing, and producing compelling social media content based on technical research, (b) creating visuals for social media, (c) building relationships with influencers and partners, (d) increasing online engagement with relevant audiences, and (e) and monitoring and reporting on performance, adjusting strategies as appropriate. Demonstrated experience with Hootsuite or similar social media tools.
• Proven experience developing winning communications strategies and contributing to major communications outreach efforts that create sizable impact.
• Excellent writing and editing skills for publications, blogs, online and multi-media are essential.
• Demonstrated ability to support technical teams to develop influential knowledge products (research papers, blogs, slide decks, podcasts, videos, etc), including the provision of editorial guidance and working with designers on visuals and infographics.
• Demonstrated ability to function as a team player in a multicultural environment, and experience working with teams across different time zones and cultures. Ability to bring together internal stakeholders toward a collective outcome.
• Ability to work independently, seeking guidance on complex projects/issues from more senior staff. Capacity to work simultaneously on a variety of issues and tasks, adjusting to priorities and achieving results within agreed objectives and deadlines.
• Knowledge of IT platforms, web and graphic design, email software such as Constant Contact, Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word and Publisher) or comparable graphics software.