Submit an article (link opens in a new window)
  • Burkina Faso: Village co-operative works for electrification

    The cooperatives in Burkina Faso act like any other client of the electricity company--buying power and then selling it to the villagers. While 60 percent of the start up funds is paid for subsidies and donor support, the villagers with the help of interest-free loans will fund the remaining 40 percent. ’Electricity is a powerful tool for the development and for poverty reduction, that is why we immediately saw the importance of the electrification project,’ explained El Hadj...

    IRIN News
  • Microfinance: A Way Out for the Poor

    But the real success of microfinance is that serving the poor has the same benefits as anywhere else, he said: It attracts competition and creates an industry. ’The poor are part of the definition of business. This has dramatic impact,’ [Michael Chu, a poverty expert and HBS senior lecturer] said. Read full article here. ...

    HBS Working Knowledge
  • The Digital Village

    The cover story of the June 28, Asia edition of BusinessWeek reports on the role technology is playing in eradicating poverty in India. [New efforts] have become successful and are starting to look like valid business opportunities. Now, the entrepreneurs are starting to discover one another: India has this year been host to three conferences on the use of technology for development in rural societies...With the number of success stories growing, though, Nasscom and the World Bank a...

  • Editorials – Technology, The Poverty Fighter

    The World Bank and an Indian software association plan to invest as much as $1 billion in grassroots technology businesses. Corporations should also step up such investments. By promoting local innovation and entrepreneurialism, the tech-for-the-masses movement could not only stimulate economic development in the countryside but also help find the key to turning the world’s poor into the next major source of global growth. ...

    BusinessWeek International
  • Peruvian economist Hernando de Soto has found a way to enrich the poor.

    Mr. de Soto points out that multinational corporations are typically among the most direct beneficiaries of his work. Indeed, the formalization of developing country economies may well be the missing link that paves the way for multinational corporations in many industries to enter or expand in these countries, not in their stereotypical role as exploiters of cheap labor and extractors of raw materials, but as seekers of customers, talent, and capital. Trillions of dollars of dead c...

  • Business & Development 2004

    Mark Malloch Brown and Robert Davies argue that Engaging the poor in markets as consumers, employees or entrepreneurs and providing them with services are valid business opportunities - and are increasingly attractive ones as many of the less populous western markets mature and reach saturation point for many goods and services. ...

    Financial Times
  • Microsoft plans Asian XP starter

    Microsoft plans to offer a new version of the Windows operating system for beginning computer users in Thailand and Malaysia starting this September, as part of government-sponsored programs aimed at providing more affordable personal computers in those countries. Read full article here. ...

  • Renewal fund seeks private capital for loans market

    Afghanistan’s economy grew 20 per cent last year and sectors such as construction, communications and retail are booming. But the country’s financial sector is barely emerging from the dark ages and middle-sized businesses that fall outside the micro-credit market are hard pressed to get loans or attract investors. The fund aims to address a gap in the finance market for companies requiring initial investments of $500,000 to $10m, a finance official familiar with the plan said.&quo...

    Financial Times