JOB DESCRIPTION – Chief Operating Officer
The Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture, together with its partner UAP Insurance launched the Agriculture Index Insurance Initiative Kenya in 2009 to insure smallholder farmers against extreme weather events through the Kilimo Salama product range. This initiative has since insured tens of thousands of farmers in Kenya against drought and has established itself as a leader in the field of agricultural micro insurance, winning the Financial Times Award for Sustainable Banking and Technology. The Kilimo Salama products use mobile technology as means to reach out to farmers and provide them with affordable and accessible insurance products. For more information see: www.kilimosalama.wordpress.com
As the Kilimo Salama team expands it is looking to recruit a COO based out of Nairobi to further grow its team and efforts in insuring smallholder farmers.
- Design and implement business processes related to sales, pricing, claims payment, premium collection, HR, finance, product development and all other critical functions of the company.
- Implement document access and version controls revise the SOP manuals as applicable
- Lead & manage the finance, administration, logistics, HR, IT, sales, account management and weather station departments to facilitate program and product delivery.
- Manage HR in terms of recruitment, appraisals, annual reviews and other needs.
- Manage relationships with the insurance company, aggregators, financial institutions and other service providers and provide support to these partnerships
- Provide key inputs to marketing and sales activities
- Prepare annual budgets, monitor expenses and cash flow on a periodic basis and provide regular inputs on cost effectiveness and profitability.
- Oversee and approve financial management project expenses
- Prepare reports and presentations to partners, donors and clients
- Prepare and hold steering committee meetings with partners on a bi - annual basis and weekly meetings with staff and keep them updated on the company’s performance.
- Support implementation and analysis of the Monitoring and Evaluation process.
3. Skills & Experience:
- Atleast 10 years of work experience, out of which 5 years should have been in operations and in a senior leadership role.
- Prior experience working with multiple stake-holders – either in not-for-profit or the commercial sector, including Board of Directors
- Atleast 2-3 years of experience working in developing countries
- Proven track record in relationship management and excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven experience in managing multi stakeholder partnerships
- Prior experience in scaling start-ups is a plus
- Experience in micro insurance is preferred, but not required
- Ability and desire to travel at 30 -40% of the time, both locally and internationally
- Ability to work in a challenging multi cultural start up environment with diverse teams
- Ability to manage tight deadlines that will not move
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Strong marketing and sales skills
- An affinity to the agriculture sector and/ or development finance
- An entrepreneurial attitude and mindset
- A Masters degree in Business administration or programme management
A competitive salary and package would be proposed for the successful candidate.
Interested candidates, should send a CV and a covering letter containing reasons as to why they are an ideal candidate for this job to Christine.email@example.com